Police brutality can come in varying degrees but is traumatic or life-altering for the victim. Citizens should not have to face harassment and abuse from our law-keepers, but it still happens. Police brutality is the unwarranted or excessive use of force by police officers against civilians. Many deaths and injuries of unarmed civilians are at the hands of our countries law officers abusing their power.
If you or a loved one has experienced abuse or mistreatment from a police officer, you can fight for your civil rights and receive compensation for pain and suffering endured. The legal team at the Cochran Firm Cleveland has the resource and experience to help clients restore their dignity and recover from the pain and personal loss caused by excess force by police. Learn more about police brutality and what the attorneys at the Cochran Firm can do to help you win your case.
Police Brutality Claims and Lawsuits
The use of excessive force by police is grounds for lawsuits against the offending officers and even their employment municipality. For a case to hold up in court, the plaintiff must prove the overuse of force by the officers involved. At the same time, the officer will try and prove why they acted as they did and why the amount of force used was necessary.
Police have different levels of force they may use in a confrontation:
- Physical presence: Sometimes, the presence of a police officer can keep crime from occurring.
- Verbalization: Statements, requests, to orders may be given to citizens by a police officer.
- Empty-hand control: Bodily force like punches and grabs may be used on a citizen.
- Less lethal methods: An officer may use weapons like stun guns, batons, and chemical sprays.
- Lethal force: The use of firearms by police, whether or not they result in loss of life.
Any of these levels of force could be determined to be an overuse of power. Depending on the context of the situation involving the plaintiff, a case may be made against a police officer. Severity can also include how the victim was affected physically and emotionally.
How a Police Brutality Attorney Can Help You
Police brutality cases in many ways can be left up to the interpretation of the circumstances that occurred. The legal team at The Cochran Firm Cleveland has experience guiding successful cases involving excessive force. Your case will be investigated to determine the circumstances around the force used by the police and the outcome. Our lawyers will research your case and ensure it paints the scene from the voice of the wronged citizen. Courts will analyze many factors, and an attorney can help make sure the important details are presented in a case.
Courts may look at these factors when deciding on an overuse of police force case:
- The severity of the crime committed
- Whether the safety of the police officer or others was threatened
- If the individual was resisting arrest or trying to flee the scene
- If there were other alternatives available to the police officer
- Whether warnings were provided that could have prevented the altercation
Ohio Police Brutality Lawyers at The Cochran Firm
The attorneys at The Cochran Firm have experience in representing clients in police brutality claims. If you have been wronged, injured, or have lost a loved one due to the overuse of power by law officials, give us a call. Our legal team will provide you with dedicated service and legal representation in the courts of Ohio.
Over 40 years ago, Johnnie L Cochran Jr. founded The Cochran Firm with the mission to defend individuals in their time of need.