Questions About Pharmaceutical Injury
What is a pharmaceutical injury?
Pharmaceutical injuries occur when a patient takes a defective drug, is instructed to take an improper dosage, or is prescribed the wrong drug by his physician.
How do defective drugs reach the marketplace?
While one of the Food and Drug Administration’s duties is to protect American consumers from defective drugs, often the FDA inadequately tests medications before they reach the marketplace.
While pharmaceutical companies should thoroughly test their drugs, the amount of money invested in their products causes them to rush products onto the marketplace, occasionally without fully investigating potential side effects.
What damages can be caused by a defective drug?
The types of pharmaceutical injuries one can sustain due to a defective drug include:
- Heart attack
- Hemorrhages, which can lead to stroke and wrongful death
- Internal organ damage
- Increased blood pressure
- The onset of, or intensified, depression, which can lead to suicide
What are the common dangerous drugs that have reached the marketplace?
As more pharmaceutical companies attempt to devise miracle drugs to address even the most minute of health problems, the prevalence of dangerous drugs and pharmaceutical injuries increases. Common dangerous drugs include:
- OxyContinA highly addictive painkiller that is subject to abuse
- VioxxOnce considered a miracle drug by those suffering from diabetes, an independent study soon confirmed that it increases the risk of cardiovascular complications
- PaxilOriginally prescribed to treat depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder, but was determined to have caused a spike in child suicide rates
- BaycolInstead of lower cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart attacks, Baycol caused the death of almost 100 people before being recalled
How long do I have to file a claim?
Defective drugs and pharmaceutical injury cases must be filed promptly. Each state has its own mandatory time limits in which people are permitted to file claims against the manufacturers of dangerous drugs. If you wait too long, you risk denial of financial compensation you otherwise may be entitled to.
At The Cochran Firm, we have offices nationwide and the capability to successfully litigate pharmaceutical injury cases across the United States. We will not be bullied nor intimidated by major pharmaceutical companies and will fight for the financial compensation you are entitled to. Please contact the defective products attorneys at The Cochran Firm today to schedule your free case evaluation.